Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I google, you google, we google

OR NOT...
Believe it or not, there are people who use search engines other than Google! I mean don't they know that Google is a verb? While I admit I don't have the patience to compare the results of Google to other engines, I know that whenever I switch to say Bing, I've been perfectly satisfied with my results. And when I want to see my results in categories, Clusty (now called Yippy) does a great job. And when I need only quality sites, directories (like ipl2)work for me. And when I'm not getting what I want with what I think are good search words, sometimes using a meta-search engine works well. And when...well, you get the picture. The bottom line is, as I see it, for general web searches, you probably can't beat the Big Three (in the US): Google, Yahoo and Bing. For more focused research, you might save time by using a search engine fitted to your needs. Look at Phil Bradley's list to broaden your search horizons. Or noodletools, which has a nice what-search-engine-to-use-when page. Let us know if you find any good ones to recommend.
RL

No comments: